Pursuing A New Career

November 5, 2007
"While we were in Utah for my Grandpa Bowen's birthday celebration, John got to attend the Priesthood Session at the Conference Center with my Uncle Kim. Apparently they had a nice chat about my Uncle Kim's job and what he does as a Chaplain in the Air Force. As we were sitting in the airport waiting for our flight back to Arizona, John turned to me and asked, 'How would you feel about me becoming a Chaplain in the military like your uncle?'
"At first I thought, 'Are you serious?', but before I could really say anything he started telling me how awesome it was to sit with Kim and the other Chaplains at the Priesthood session. He had asked my cousin Gregg a lot of questions about what it was like for him growing up in the military, and he described a lot of the traveling benefits, medical benefits, and potential experiences we would have being able to go to extra conference sessions with the General Authorities of the church. I was impressed with how much interest he was showing in this new idea of becoming a Chaplain."
"Oddly enough, the more he talked about it, the more interested and excited I became. I never imagined us being involved with the military, but I know John is a really good counselor and it's what he loves to do. He spent several weeks researching the requirements, and we've talked to Kim and Sandy quite a bit to get their advice and hear some of their experiences. Then John and I decided to go to the temple with the purpose of finding out whether this decision to become a Chaplain was what the Lord had in mind for us."
"During the prayer, the temple worker asked God to 'bless all the families, men, and women in the military who are serving our country that they would be safe from harm.' At that moment, I felt a tug at my heart as I realized so many people would be praying for us and John in their homes and in the temples as he served wherever the Lord needed him. Later John told me he felt the same prompting."
"As we prayed together in the Celestial Room, I felt as if someone had put their arm around my shoulder and whispered, 'No matter what happens, everything is going to be okay.' I knew there were going to be difficult trials ahead of us. I was scared at the thought of John deploying with the military, and nervous about what my responsibilities would be, but at that moment all my fears seemed to fade away and I just kept focusing on that feeling of assurance that 'everything is going to be okay.' John turned to me at the end of the prayer, and we both knew what our answer was. I know that God heard our prayer, and I know that the answer I received was His voice speaking peace to my heart."
"When John graduated with his Bachelor's degree this week, he told his mom what our plans were for his future career. She was certainly surprised when she heard him say that he was going to be a Chaplain in the military, but then she got emotional as she told us of an experience she had when John came home from his mission. She was asking him what his next step was going to be and had suggested school or the military. The more she thought about it, the more impressed she felt to encourage him to consider the military. At the time he had refused the idea, but now that he had made the decision for himself, it made sense to her why she felt he would be needed in the military."
"It's amazing how things like that fall into place. The more confirmation I get about this decision, the better I feel. It's going to be a whole new adventure for us!"

No comments:

Post a Comment