Boise State University Graduation

May 14, 2006
"My mom took me shopping on Wednesday to buy all my temple clothes in preparation for this weekend. My dress is so pretty, I can't wait for John to see it. We finally made it through these past six weeks! I picked him up at the airport and almost knocked him over when I went to give him a hug. :) Most of my extended family came from Eastern Idaho for my graduation, so they were all waiting for us at the house. We sat and visited for a while before I had to go get ready for my Nursing Program pinning ceremony."
"The ceremony was held at the Jordan Ballroom in the Student Union Building. They had all the students line up outside the doors and walk in holding little pen lights (pretending they were candles). When it was time for the pinning, they had each of us walk across the stage and they put a pin on our blouses and gave us a rose as we walked off. John gave me a big hug afterward and told me he was proud of me."
"The next morning I had commencement practice, and then the Boise State University graduation ceremony began. As we walked into the arena, I glanced around and found my family sitting in the stadium on my right. One of the speakers asked us to think of all the people that encouraged, supported, and helped us get to where we were that day. I thought about mom, how she always encouraged me to do my best in school, how she sacrificed her time and covered the office when I had projects to finish, papers to write, tests to study for, and how she willingly gave what money she had to help pay for text books and make ends meet. I thought about John, how he helped me to believe in myself when I was struggling last semester, how he made me think more about my future and why I wanted this degree, and all the support and encouragement he gave me."
"They gave us a moment to applaud the crowd for their support, and as they raised the lights I saw John stand up and point right at me, so I pointed back and looked at the rest of my family and felt so much gratitude for them. As I walked up to the stand and they called my name, I felt this amazing sense of accomplishment. I stuck with my goal and it was all worth it just to have that degree in my hand."
"That night after graduation I went to the temple to receive my own endowments. As I put on my dress and slippers, I took one last look at myself in the mirror. I couldn't help but think how grown up I felt. I wasn't a little girl anymore; I was becoming the woman I'd always hoped I would be. Mom was waiting for me in the bride's dressing room, and I had never seen her look more beautiful in her white temple dress with a beautiful smile on her face. We walked to the chapel together and the rest of my family was already there waiting for me. There was a seat saved for me in the front row next to John. As I looked around at the rest of my family, I felt that same feeling of gratitude for such a strong circle of support in my life."
"After I received my endowments, I walked into the celestial room and John was the first person I saw. He was standing there with a big smile on his face, waiting for his hug. Soon everyone started gathering around us and giving each other more hugs. It was such a happy moment."
"The next morning I got my first speeding ticket on the way to Mom & Dad's for church. Oops! John and I sang with a group of college kids for a special Mother's Day musical number in their ward. Then we had an interview with my Stake President and he gave us a special wedding gift. It was 'The Family Proclamation' printed on transparent paper and framed with our picture behind it. It was really nice!"
"It's been a wonderful weekend. I'm so glad this is the last time we have to say goodbye at the airport. The next time we see each other, we'll be getting married!"

No comments:

Post a Comment