Camping In Sedona

May 28, 2007
"John and I went camping in Sedona for Memorial Day weekend. We thought we would leave early to try and avoid the crowds, but it seemed like thousands of other people had the same idea!"
"All of the campgrounds seemed to be full, except for a free overflow campground that had no bathroom facilities. I heard 'no bathrooms' and John heard 'free', so we drove to the campsite as I pouted the whole way. John put up with my attitude though, and even found a way to tie some rope from our tent to the trees and hung blankets around to make a small, semi-private potty room."
"Peeing in the woods was never a highlighted adventure on my bucket list, but after I was able to 'relieve myself' I seemed to be able to enjoy the rest of the evening. We made hot dogs and s'mores for dinner, and the weather stayed pretty nice. It was even a little chilly in the morning. But I decided after my third attempt in the potty room that we would not be staying another night. So we made our breakfast and then packed everything up and headed back into town to take a tour of Sedona."
"We walked around a few of the shops before driving out to the Palatki Indian ruins. It was one of the coolest places I've ever seen."
"We hiked up a trail and saw ancient pictures painted on the wall of the mountain where ancient Indians used to live. The tour guide told us that this area used to be swamp land, so there were pictures of turtles and rivers and stuff. It was so cool!"
"Then we hiked up another trail and saw some ancient ruins of the houses that were built with mud and rocks. There were even hand prints left in the mud where they had packed it down during the building process. I thought it was fascinating."
"On the mountainside there were streak marks from where waterfalls used to run down the side when it was a swamp land. It was odd to look around and see nothing but desert remaining. I wonder if it will ever have waterfalls again."
"I enjoyed being surrounded by the red rocks of Sedona. It's fun exploring new places together and taking ourselves on our own little field trips... even if I had to pee in the woods."

No comments:

Post a Comment