Critchfield Reunion - Utah

June 16, 2005
"I met up with Brian's family and we drove from Boise down to Utah together for the Critchfield Family reunion. John was waiting for me when I pulled into the church parking lot, and he ran over and picked me up in a huge bear hug. It felt so good! I met his Dad's family and we sat on a blanket and talked while we watched the kids play. It was such a nice day. I let John drive my car up to the Wolf Creek Resort where we were going to be staying with his family all week. I slept on the Murphy bed in one condo, while John was probably stuffed inside some closet in the other condo. :) The next morning after church we went picking wild flowers with John's nieces."
"Ashleigh asked me if I was going to marry 'Uncle John' and I just laughed because she was so cute and innocent about it. John caught up to us a while later and picked a white flower for me and stuck it behind my ear."
"We found a good spot to hang our hammock (John bought me a gorgeous hammock when he was down in Brazil!) so we set it up near the condo. The weather was perfect, and it was so peaceful just sitting there quietly in our little grove of trees. We talked about our favorite hymns and scriptures and he shared some more mission stories."
"The next day John took me to Lagoon for the very first time, and it was awesome! I've never been on a roller coaster before, so we went on the Tidal Wave, the Spider, the Colossus, the Samari, and The Rocket. I screamed the whole way down, and I think I was still shaking for 5 minutes after we got off. We also did bumper cars and rode the ski lift and a train. I loved it!"
 "While we were walking through the park, John stopped at a booth and threw 10 balls and broke 6 plates and won a big stuffed cheetah for me. It was so cute!"
"When we got back to the condo we went and sat in our hammock again and had a deep conversation about our future. I asked him what he would do if I didn't have another year of school to finish and we were free to do whatever we wanted. He jokingly said, 'I would use my persuasive powers to convince you to move down to Arizona and keep you there forever!' :) Then he got serious again and said, 'But honestly, I don't know how I'm going to live without you when you leave. I know I'll get to see you again in 3 weeks, but it's going to be so hard to stay focused on work and school, because all I want to do is talk to you and be with you.' I definitely felt the same way, so things are still moving in the same direction for both of us."
"The next morning I stayed home with the girls and made bracelets and watched movies while John went golfing with his brothers. When he came back we headed down to the pool and went swimming. They were planning on taking family pictures that evening after dinner, so I offered to help clean up while everyone was busy getting ready. John's brother Steve was trying to tease me by saying I had missed a spot while wiping down the table, but I didn't let him get away with it because I threw the dirty wet rag right in his face! He was pretty surprised and didn't expect it, but John just laughed and said, 'Dude, I told you she doesn't take crap from anyone. She has five brothers too!' It was pretty funny."
"The family pictures turned out pretty good, and the kids looked so cute in their pastel colors.
"The sun was just beginning to set, and John decided we should take some pictures of our own."
"Steve helped us take this one."
"All of a sudden John pulled me back behind the trees and wrapped me up in his arms and kissed me. I asked him 'What brought that on?' and he just said, 'You just look so beautiful tonight, I couldn't help it!' 
"On Thursday morning we drove down to Salt Lake and toured around Temple Square. We went and saw 'The Testaments' and then stopped outside the theater to talk to the Sister Missionaries. They asked if we were married and John said, 'Not yet.' :) She was a little embarrassed, but after she found out we'd been dating for 6 months she said, 'Well, that's half a year, what's the hold up?' Ha ha!
"After we left the theater we walked around Temple Square and took a few pictures. I couldn't take my eyes off the temple, it was so beautiful."
"Being with John and his family this whole week has helped me learn so much more about him and who he really is. I've seen him with his nieces these past few days, and I've watched him take care of them and watch over them and teach them how to respect each other and be careful while they play. I've heard him talk about family traditions and guidelines that he wants to develop and incorporate in his own family some day. I know he is strong in the gospel, and his love for the scriptures will be such a strength in his home. I told him that I didn't really know what he was like before his mission, but it didn't matter because I am in love with the person he is now, and who he has become. I am so proud of him, and I am so lucky to be in love with him. He told me I was really good at making him feel special. I just told him I was returning the favor because he does it all the time for me. :)"
"We spent our last day watching a lot of movies. Then we tested our skills at the recreation center with racquetball and tennis (and discovered that we both suck at racket sports) so we traded in for a basketball and horseshoes and had a much better time. Then we played Settlers of Catan with his family for the rest of the night. In the morning we drove down to Centerville together for his Mission Reunion."
"He was so excited to see everyone, especially his Mission President and the President's Wife. Almost all of his old mission companions who came up to greet us would look at me and say, 'So is this your wife?... Oh... not yet huh. Well, I guess I just popped the question for ya. What are you waiting for Elder???' It was amusing."
"After we ate lunch we headed down to Provo where John's Grandma lives. Before I dropped him off and headed back home to Idaho, I gave him a card that I had found at the store about a month ago. It had a poem on it about two people who love each other and can't wait until they are together again. "
"When two people love each other as much as we do,
no distance is great enough to come between them.
Still, I miss you so much when we're apart.
I think of you off and on during the day,
from the time I get up until I fall asleep.
I wonder how you are and wish you could be with me.
I find myself smiling each time I remember special moments we've shared,
thoughtful ways you've shown you care,
and how much fun I have just being with you.
When we're apart, I remember everything that made me fall in love with you in the first place
and I can hardly wait till we're together again.
I look forward to your smile, your kiss, your touch, 
to being back in the arms of the one person I love more than anything in the world."
"I told him it reminded me of everything I think and feel when we are apart. Then we braced ourselves for the next 3 weeks, he kissed me goodbye, and then stood and watched as I drove away."

No comments:

Post a Comment